Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
These are so good, and best of all they are quick and easy to make. They are also very easy to double...and believe me, after you taste these you will wish you had doubled the recipe...I hope you enjoy these amazing squares as much as we do. Please note* there is no baking time.
- 1 cup dates, good quality, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup sweet butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups flaked coconut, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk or 2 teaspoons half-and-half cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract, pure
- Grease a 9x5x3" loaf pan with butter, and set aside, until ready to use.
- For the squares - In a medium sized pot, combine, dates, sugar, flour, butter and egg.
- Stir constantly until mixture comes to a full boil 7 -10 minutes.
- Continue cooking until it starts to thicken, this should take about 3 minutes.
- Add the coconut to the mixture and then spread into prepared 9x5x3" loaf pan.
- Prepare the glaze in a small bowl, stirring together the powdered sugar, milk, lemon juice and vanilla extract, until smooth.
- Drizzle the glaze over the warm squares.
- Cover and refrigerate until firm, this should take about 3 hours.
- Cut into squares, and store covered in the fridge until needed -- Enjoy.
Very good, like a no bake cake with similar ingredients. I used 1/2 cup of sugar only and it was just right for us.
These were delightful little treats! They were just a tad too sweet for me, so next time I will probably use 1/2 cup of sugar instead of 3/4 cup. Perfect for tea parties as well as edible gifts. Will be made again!
Very good Baby Kato. I followed the recipe exactly.