Recipe by Marg (CaymanDesigns)
Posted by request. It is used in baking or you can eat it as a candy. Also good dipped in chocolate coating instead of rolling in additional sugar.
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut peel of each orange and lemon into 4 sections with sharp knife. Remove peel carefully with fingers. Scrape white membrane from peel with spoon (back of peel will appear porous when membrane is removed). Cut peel lengthwise into strips about 1/4 inch wide.
- Heat peel and enough water to cover to boiling in 1 1/2-quart saucepan; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered 30 minutes; drain.
- Repeat simmering process.
- Heat 1 1/2 cups sugar and 3/4 cup water to boiling in 1 1/2-quart saucepan, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in peel.
- Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes; drain in strainer.
- Roll in 1/2 cup sugar; spread on waxed paper to dry. Store tightly covered at room temperature no longer than 1 week.