Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
For some romantic sweets on the go, go with candied citrus peel. We got our recipe from Kelleigh “Love on the Run” Trowbridge, former Delfina, Zuni and Le Colonial pastry chef and owner of the Ebbtide Café.
- 6 lemons (use ONE of the three!) or 2 grapefruits (use ONE of the three!) or 3 -4 oranges (use ONE of the three!)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, plus some for tossing
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup (optional)
- Cut fruit into quarters; peel the rind (peel!) off. Cut peel into desired shape; make all the pieces the same so they cook the same.
- Put peel piece into a saucepan, cover with water, bring to boil, drain and repeat.
- Repeat step #2 two more times.
- After the third boil, leave peel in the strainer.
- Put 1 1/2 cups of sugar, 1 1/2 cups of water into the saucepan and 2 tablespoons of corn syrup into the sauce pan. Bring saucepan to a simmer on medium heat, add peel. If you’re not using corn syrup, you will need to put the lid on the pan to simmer it for 6 minutes before continuing. Let it cook, uncovered, at a rolling simmer until it is done. For hard-ish candy, cook until the liquid is almost gone, and for chewy candy cook until only 3-5 spoonfuls of liquid is left.
- Put peels into strainer and let cool until you can touch it.
- Put peels into a bowl, add some sugar, and toss them together. Toss every 15 minutes until really cool and the candy is coated with sugar.
- For best results, spread the candy on racks to dry. For harder candy, cook it and dry it for longer, for soft and almost chewy candy, cook and dry it less.
- Store candy in airtight containers. If you store them in the fridge they will seem very hard- but only because they are cold!
YUM! I made orange peel, carefully carving off the pith so the pieces are quite thin, and crunchy. Outstanding!
Made this with oranges then served them up with a chocolate dip ~ OUTSTANDING! The orange strips are very, very nice tasting as they are, but with the dip they were really special, but then I'm a through-&-through chocoholic, so... Thanks for sharing a great recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed in New Kids on the Block tag]