Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This casserole is always a big hit at holiday meals. Yams surrounded with a thick sauce and topped with marshmallows... It's a vegetable that almost tastes like a dessert!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13x2 baking pan (or 4 quart casserole) with cooking spray.
- Mix flour, brown sugar and salt in a microwavable 4 cup measuring cup.
- Add syrup from yam cans so that the measuring cup contains about 2 1/2 cups. (You'll add about 2 cups of syrup, but some of the sugar and flour dissolves.) Stir.
- Add butter, sliced.
- Microwave, stirring frequently, until sauce is thick, but still pourable. This step took me about 10 minutes. I start with 90 seconds, then stir every 30 or 20 seconds. If it gets too thick, add water and stir.
- Place yams in sprayed casserole. Pour sauce over yams. Bake until the sauce starts to bubble, about 25 minutes.
- Top with marshmallows and return to the oven to brown, about 10 minutes.