Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Oh so sweet,& nutty, with the slightest kick.
Make and share this Candied Brussels Sprouts and Almonds With Amaretto Glaze recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts, cut in half
- 1 1⁄2 cups champagne or 1⁄2 cup apple juice mixed with one cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄2 cup almond liqueur or 1⁄2 cup Amaretto
- 1 pinch chili pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch, mixed with
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, crushed and toasted
- Steam Brussels sprouts in champagne till tender-crisp about 5 minutes. Remove brussels sprouts leaving the champange in the pot.
- Add honey, Amaretto, and pepper flakes reduce by half.
- Whisk in butter and cornstarch slurry.
- Toss in nuts.
- Toss the cooked Brussels sprouts in the candied nut mixture.
- Season with salt.
This recipe was a great hit at my Christmas dinner this year(2009). Even the 3 guests who told me later that they did not like Brussels sprouts raved about them. I left out the pepper flakes this time but will add them next time I make them. So quick and easy to make!
I am SO sorry that I cannot give this a good rating. Between Toolie's recommendation and my knowledge of what a good cook Rita is, I thought this would be a good surprise. However, for me, the combination of the sweet amaretto with the sprouts just did not work. The sauce I felt had no relation to the vegetable--merely served to cover up the taste of the Brussel sprouts, rather than to combine with that taste to create a new whole.
What an excellent recipe. Spicy and sweet. Brussel sprouts are not my favorite vege, but they taste like candy with a kick with this recipe. YUM!