Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
My family was introduced to this delightful treat on New Years Eve 1973. We've been making it every year since!
- Line a baking sheet with foil. (Use non-stick foil or spray the foil with cooking spray if you want to make your life a lot easier!).
- Preheat oven to 275°F.
- Put brown sugar on a plate. (I don't really measure the brown sugar.) Place a slice of bacon on the brown sugar, patting to help the brown sugar adhere to the bacon, coating both sides. Place on baking sheet. Repeat with rest of the pound of bacon. Sprinkle any remaining brown sugar over the bacon.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Carefully pour off grease. Bake for 10 more minutes. Pour off grease again. Check bacon every 5-7 minutes until browned to your desired crispness, pouring off grease as necessary.
- Let cool slightly and remove to a lightly buttered plate to cool completely. (If it you let it cool completely on the baking sheet, it can be very difficult to remove.)
- We prefer to chill ours for a few hours before eating it. It enhances the flavors vs. eating it room temperature.