Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Another lovely recipe from Rob Oliver. this soup ups the ante on the Australian classic. Two cups of canned pureed pumpkin can be used in place of fresh pumpkin; vegetable stock can replace the chicken stock. Also, to cut down on fat, I use lite coconut milk.
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cups pumpkin, peeled, deseeded and diced
- 1 cup potato, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 14 ounces coconut milk
- 1 bunch fresh chives, chopped
- salt and black pepper
- cream, to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large pot.
- Saute onions until soft, but not colored.
- Add potatoes, pumpkin and garlic. Stir through.
- Sprinkle in dried herbs, stir and cook for a further 2 minutes, ensuring nothing sticks.
- Add the stock and coconut milk. Bring to the boil, cover and reduce heat to a simmer for approximately 30-40 minutes.
- Blend soup with a food processor or stick blender, until smooth (the stick blender is much easier).
- If you like a very silky texture, put the soup through a fine mesh strainer.
- Season to taste, add the chopped chives and stir through.
- Serve with a little cream and fresh chives as garnish.
Wow - this soup is awesome! Can be done much sooner than specified, I diced the potato fairly small and only simmered for 15 minutes instead of the 30-40 indicated; on a night when I needed dinner done quickly, this was a great choice. I used canned pumpkin, fat free chicken broth and lite coconut milk, which made the soup light in calories too! All in all, really great soup that I plan to make again now that cooler weather is near.
To quote Peter J, this soup has a "magic blend of flavors" that my DH and I found a refreshing and festive change. I used the canned pureed pumpkin and put a dash of Amarula liqueur in the cream garnish. My photo wasn't as good as Peter J's, so I'll try again next time -- I think the cream got away from me this time!
it tastes really good with crackers in it.