Ever wonder what to do with the meat from the chicken stock? Here is what we used to do back home, where we had it every couple of weeks. This recipe assumes that you use a entire chicken. If the breasts have been removed, then divide by half. Some of the chopping/preparation is done while some of the dish is cooking. In total I usually spend 1 hour to make this dish. Note: You will have three hobs going in your cooker at one point.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- chicken meat from the stock, cut into medium size pieces
- 1 -2 carrots from the stock (Or fresh if not available)
- 1 1/2 cups chickpeas, either from the stock or 1 1/2 cups canned chickpeas
- 1 onion
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- 3 -4 medium potatoes, chopped into 1-inch cubes
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 -3 medium sized tomatoes
- 1 medium green pepper (or red)
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley (If you have fresh even better!)
- oil (for frying)
- 1 cup tomato sauce (optional)
- 1Fry potatoes in 2 or 3 Tb of oil till tender on medium heat in a non-stick frying pan, cover, and give an occasional stir till soft and golden.
- 2In the mean time, put tomatoes in boiling water and leave for 1 minute.
- 3Discard boiling water and put tomatoes in cold water, leave for 1 minute.
- 4Peal tomatoes and dice.
- 5Chop onion and set to fry in a separate pot.
- 6Chop green/red pepper and add to pot.
- 7Add half the garlic to the pot and diced tomatoes.
- 8Add parsley and cayenne pepper to pot.
- 9In a separate non stick pan, fry remaining garlic till golden with chick peas.
- 10Add carrots to the pot, and chick peas and garlic from the second pan.
- 11On the pan where the chick peas were, place chicken with at least 1 Tb of salt. It will generate some liquid, let this evaporate and stir till crispy and golden. (Note that it will tend to break into strings).
- 12Transfer chicken and potatoes to the pot.
- 13Add tomato sauce if desired.
- 14Add pepper to taste and check for saltiness.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Canary's Ropa Vieja (Old Clothes) - Spanish Chicken Comfort Food
Serving Size: 1 (290 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 268.6
- Calories from Fat 13
- Total Fat 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 287.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.5 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 9.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: