Recipe by MumofJuan
Full of flavour, juicy, tasty, aromatic chicken, oven roast in a bag. Easy recipe, good both hot and cold, with the special hint of Spanish dry sherry. You'll never make chicken other way!
- 1 roasting chicken, clean, fat trimmed
- 1 oven cooking bag, suitable for your chicken size
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried garlic
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon oregano (marjoram)
- 1 1⁄2 cups of dry spanish sherry wine (the one we call "manzanilla")
- 1 cup pure extra virgin Spanish olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken in the bag. Add all dry ingredients, add sherry and olive oil. Once bag is closed, shake well to let ingredients mix and run around.
- Make two little pinches on top of bag, place in an oven tray and put it into the oven at 375ºF for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, depending on how big your chicken is or how well done you like it. I prefer chicken well done with a crusty skin.
- When done, let it cool a little and then open bag carefully. Take out chicken and collect all the liquid (there`ll be plenty of it), and please careful--no fainting with the superb smells that will surround you, so different to usual roast chicken in USA. The hint here is the dry sherry wine--the better the label, the best results. Old Spanish wisdom in this wine!
- Note: As I like mixing different cultures and traditions, try this with a good challah or a southern style cornmeal as well as a salad (only greens, onion and tomatoes and, of course a good Spanish olive oil, salt and vinegar).