Recipe by Olha
People who travel, eat it in restaurants, then look for the recipe--which is almost as old as Canada. The following is made the way Madam Benoit's grand'mere taught her, though there are all kinds of recipes.
Top Review by Andre!
It's maple syrup season here in Ontario (April) and I just put maple syrup on my shopping list. THIS is the recipe I will try! Perhaps with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Jehane Benoit was a renouned cook in these parts and if her Grandmother made this recipe, it must be great indeed!
- 1 pie pastry, of your choice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups pure maple syrup
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1⁄3 cup butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Line a 9-inch pie plate with pastry.
- Stir soda and vanilla into maple syrup and pour into unbaked pastry.
- Blend remaining ingredients with your fingertips until mixture is crumbly, then spread over syrup.
- Place a piece of foil under pan, because the pie often bubbles over.
- Bake at 350 F.
- for 30 minutes and let cool---it is best cold.
- The Canadiana Cookbook Mme.
- Jehane Benoit.