Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
People who travel, eat it in restaurants, then look for the recipe--which is almost as old as Canada. The following is made the way Madam Benoit's grand'mere taught her, though there are all kinds of recipes.
- Line a 9-inch pie plate with pastry.
- Stir soda and vanilla into maple syrup and pour into unbaked pastry.
- Blend remaining ingredients with your fingertips until mixture is crumbly, then spread over syrup.
- Place a piece of foil under pan, because the pie often bubbles over.
- Bake at 350 F.
- for 30 minutes and let cool---it is best cold.
- The Canadiana Cookbook Mme.
- Jehane Benoit.
It's maple syrup season here in Ontario (April) and I just put maple syrup on my shopping list. THIS is the recipe I will try! Perhaps with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Jehane Benoit was a renouned cook in these parts and if her Grandmother made this recipe, it must be great indeed!