Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is from Canadian Living magazine. A lovely cake with BUTTERSCOTCH sauce!!!
- 6 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In large bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Add 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the sugar, 2 tablespoons (25 mL) at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
- In another large bowl, beat egg yolks and remaining sugar for about 4 minutes or until pale and thickened. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder; stir into yolk mixture. Fold in one-quarter of the egg whites until combined; fold in remaining egg whites. Fold in pecans. Scrape batter into 10-inch (4 L) tube pan. Bake in centre of 325°F (160°C) oven for about 50 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- Invert onto legs of pan. Let cool completely. Remove cake from pan. Cut cake horizontally into 3 layers.
- Icing: In bowl, whip cream and sugar. Using 1 cup (250 mL) of the whipped cream, spread over top of bottom layer. Place second layer on top and repeat. Top with remaining layer; spread remaining cream over top and sides. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- Butterscotch Sauce: In saucepan, whisk together brown sugar, cream and butter; bring to boil. Let cool completely. Drizzle some of the sauce over cake. Serve remaining sauce alongside.