Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
My DH likes Canadian Rye best. I have been told by my doctor that rye is the best choice for diabetic's because it has the lowest GI of any bread. Time shown does not include rising. I've had good success with this using the Kitchen Aid mixer.
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in water. Let rise for 10 minute In another bowl, combine the shortening, boiling water, molasses, brown sugar, and salt. Stir to mix.
- Combine the yeast mixture with the second mixture. Knead in the flours (and caraway seed if using) until the dough becomes smooth and elastic.
- Place in greased bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size.
- Return to work surface and shape into 2 round loaves. Place on slightly greased baking sheet.
- Slash the top of dough with a sharp knife. Cover with damp cloth and let rise for one hour. Bake at 375 for 35 to 40 minutes or until brown.