Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Another savory Canadian pie, this one from Saskatchewan. This one is traditionally served on Christmas Eve after midnight mass or as a festive Sunday night supper. Loaded with meat and spices this is a very filling and hearty dish.
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground lean pork
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped fine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried summer savory
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup ice water
- Put ingredients, beef through the oregano in large pot.
- Add ½ cup water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer partially covered stirring occasionally for 20 minutes until meats are cooked through.
- Remove from the heat and stir in enough breadcrumbs to absorb the juices.
- Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Make pastry by mixing flour, shortening, and salt together with a pastry blender or food processor, until mixture is crumbly.
- Add the ice water 1 tbs at a time and blend until dough is not sticky.
- Turn out dough on a lightly floured board.
- Cut dough in half and roll out 1 half to fit a 9 inch pie pan.
- Line pie pan with dough.
- Spoon filling over dough.
- Roll out the other half of dough and place over the filling.
- Trim edges and flute.
- Cut stem vents in top of crust.
- Place pie plate on baking sheet and place in oven.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until pastry is browned.
- Remove from oven and let set 5-10 minutes.
- Cut into wedges and serve hot.
Absolutely wonderul! I made this using all pork, increased the fresh garlic to a couple of tablespoons, increased all spices, and I added in some grated Parmesan cheese and cayenne pepper and used my own butter pie crust recipe#66929 for this. Thank you Laurie, this is a wonderful recipe!...Kitten:)