Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Every occasion I went to as a child, I can remember seeing this cake. I hated it back then. I guess I have acquired a taste for it as the years have gone by. I love it now. This is not overly sweet. This is very similar to date squares.
- Filling: In saucepan, cook dates, sugar, lemon juice and water over medium heat, stirring often, until the dates are soft, about 15 minutes.
- Let cool.
- In a bowl, combine flour, rolled oats, sugar, baking soda and salt; blend in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Pat half onto bottom of 9 inch square pan.
- Spread filling evenly over the top.
- Sprinkle with the remaining flour mixture, patting lightly.
- Bake in a 350F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until nicely browned.
- Let cool; cut into squares.
Thank you Pink Diamond for this,<br/>This is a five star recipe I have used it many times and just now am telling you it is delicious. And not just because I am a Canadian eh. I reduced the sugar slightly as I am over age (73) and sweet enough.<br/>S.