Prep 35 mins
Cook 30 mins
Posted for ZWT II - Canada as taken from Epicurean.com. Cooking the pure maple syrup to soft-ball stage concentrates its woodsy rich flavor, and I use the Amber Maple Syrup which only intensifies this wonderful taste treat.
- 1 cup pure maple syrup, I use the Amber
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 cups light cream
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon maple liqueur or 1 tablespoon maple extract
- In deep heavy saucepan, bring maple syrup to boil and cook over medium-high heat, without stirring, until syrup reaches soft-ball stage (234F on candy thermometer), about 10 minutes.
- In large bowl and using electric mixer, beat egg yolks; gradually pour in hot syrup, beating constantly at medium speed. Increase speed to high and beat for 5 to 10 minutes longer or until mixture is cool. Blend in cream, walnuts and maple liqueur. Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
- Freeze in ice-cream maker following manufacturer's instructions.
Delicious ice cream! I loved the flavor combination and it was really easy to make. I had to sub pecans as I didn't have any walnuts. This was really refreshing after a long hot day. Thanks for sharing the recipe.