Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This homey skillet supper creates its own barbecue sauce as it simmers. Serve with big baked potatoes, sour cream and lots of green beans.
- Place the drumsticks in a large nonstick frying pan. Place over medium high heat. Saute the chicken until lightly browned on all sides about 10 minutes, adding a little vegetable oil to the pan, if needed.
- Reduce heat to low. Stir the garlic into the fat in the pan, if needed. Then, add the water, ketchup and soy sauce and stir until mixed. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, turning the chicken about every 5 minutes, until the chicken feels springy to the touch. Remove chicken to a platter.
- Increase heat to medium. Gently boil the sauce, uncovered, stirring often, until the sauce is thick enough to coat the chicken, about 5 minutes. Stir in the honey. Pour the sauce over the chicken and serve. Serves 3 to 4. Prep time: 20 minutes/Cooking time: 45 minutes.
- Runny Honey: If liquid honey crystallizes, remove the lid and place the jar in a saucepan filled with several inches of hot water and heat gently until the honey melts, or warm the jar in a microwave.
- The New Chatelaine Cookbook.
This is an awesome and easy recipe. We make it at least once a month and I never have any go to waste and this is with a very picky 5 year old.
As a fellow Canadian myself, I must say that this recipe was VERY good!! I didn't have any honey, so I used corn syrup instead.. and they turned out amazing!! I can't wait to buy honey and make this again!!