Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Delicious lemony bread from our church cookbook.
- 118.29 ml butter or 118.29 ml margarine
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 2 eggs
- 354.88 ml flour
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 118.29 ml milk
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1 large lemon, with its peel grated and juice squeezed
- 59.14 ml powdered sugar
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add 2 beaten eggs.
- Sift flour and baking powder.
- Add salt.
- Add lemon peel to the butter.
- To this add flour mix.
- Stir in milk and blend well.
- Bake in loaf pan at 350 for 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Add powdered sugar to lemon juice.
- When bread is done, prick top with a fork and dribble lemon juice and sugar mixture over top.
Instead of powdered sugar with the lemon juice, I usegranulated sugar. You can also make an orange loaf by replace lemon zest and juice with orange zest juice.
I'm also Canadian and probablybelong to the chef's same church. BON APPETIT!
Excellent lemon loaf. Just like my Canadian Mum used to make......I used 3 mini (disposable aluminum type) loaf pans and placed them on a cookie sheet to bake for about 38 to 40 minutes. I lined each pan with parchment paper to make removing the loaves easy. I also substituted granulated sugar in the glaze, heating in the microwave to dissolve. Thanks so much for the recipe, Recipe Junkie. :)
Update: Just a note for anyone else making the same mistake I did.....We didn't notice anything "off" while the bread was still warm, but when it cooled it had an awful metallic after taste. After some research I realize using Clapper Girl baking powder was the culprit. It has aluminum in it and that's what we were tasting. I'm switching to Rumford double action powder from now on. :)
Made it last night, and brought it to work today, my friends loved it, thank you very much ! very easy to make, Merci !