Recipe by twissis
Finally, the recipe I was searching for when I "stumbled over" the other 2 I just posted. The website source for this recipe is joycesfinecooking.com/canadian_recipes. Altho not kid-friendly w/whisky in the marinade, it is a sml amt & it appears the marinade could be halved & used to fix adult & kid portions. This recipe caught my eye because I thot it would also work well w/lamb meat. Altho unusual to combine lamb w/oranges, it sounded good to me. Think about it ... lamb, oranges, whole mushrooms & onion (all marinated using this recipe & cooked on the grill). How could that ever be bad? NOT! (Time specified does not include time to marinate) NOTE: While the whisky is shown as an optional ingredient, the recipe author made quite a point to say she NEVER leaves it out.
Top Review by diner524
Yummy marinade and not sweet like I thought it might be!! I must admit that I cheated and just marinated a whole top sirloin steak instead of making it into kabobs, too lazy!! Since I didn't make the kabobs, I added a splash of OJ to the marinade to get some of the orange flavor with the meat and the only other change I made was to omit the ground cloves, personal taste preference with savory foods. We really enjoyed this grilled steak along with baked potatoes and green beans!! Made in honor of your win the 2009 football pool!!!
- 59.14 ml cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 29.58 ml maple syrup
- 29.58 ml green onions (chopped)
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 14.79 ml rye whiskey (optional)
- 2.46 ml ground cloves
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 453.59 g steak (top sirloin, tenderloin, strip or rib eye)
- 2 oranges (peeled & cut in lrg chunks)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a lrg resealable bag, combine vinegar, garlic, syrup, onions, whiskey, cloves, salt & pepper. Set aside 4 tbsp of marinade for basting.
- Trim fat from steak. Cut into 1" cubes & add to the bag. Seal tightly & refrigerate for 30 min or overnight. Discard marinade used on steak.
- Thread steak & orange chunks onto metal or soaked wooden skewers. Place skewers on a greased grill over med-high heat. Close lid & cook 4-5 min per side or till browned but still pink inside (baste w/reserved marinade at least once during grilling).