- 226.79 g dates, cut up
- 14.79 ml brown sugar
- 118.29 ml water
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 0.59 ml salt
- 177.44 ml butter
- 236.59 ml packed brown sugar
- 473.18 ml oats (not instant)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine dates, 1 TBSP brown sugar, and water in small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook, stirring often, until dates are soft enough to be mashed with a fork.
- Set aside.
- In mixer bowl, blend flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in brown sugar and oats.
- Do not over mix.
- Mixture should stay crumbly.
- Press half of crumb mixture over bottom of lightly buttered 8x8-inch pan to form bottom crust.
- Gently spread date filling over bottom crust.
- Sprinkle remaining oat mixture over date filling.
- Lightly pat with palm of hand to even out.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Cool completely and cut into squares.