These date squares are a childhood favorite.
Make and share this Canadian Date Squares recipe from Food.com.
- Combine dates, 1 TBSP brown sugar, and water in small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook, stirring often, until dates are soft enough to be mashed with a fork.
- Set aside.
- In mixer bowl, blend flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles course crumbs.
- Stir in brown sugar and oats.
- Do not over mix.
- Mixture should stay crumbly.
- Press half of crumb mixture over bottom of lightly buttered 8x8-inch pan to form bottom crust.
- Gently spread date filling over bottom crust.
- Sprinkle remaining oat mixture over date filling.
- Lightly pat with palm of hand to even out.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Cool completely and cut into squares.