Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This bread was first baked in Canada around the year 1780; it has been handed down from generation to generation.
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- Beat together until light; 1 egg and 2 tbsp sugar; 3 tbsp melted butter; 2/3 cup milk.
- Stir in flour, cornmeal and salt.
- Beat some more and add 3 tbsp baking powder.
- Put in greased tins and bake 30 minutes in 350 oven.
This was very salty. I'm not sure what caused this or if this is what it should taste like.
Great tasting, not a real dense and heavy cornbread. I used a glass loaf pan and this baked up so nice and golden brown.