Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the Gold Cookbook.
- 1⁄4 lb salt pork
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 small carrots, cubed
- 1 cup fish stock
- 4 medium potatoes, cubed
- 2 cups clam juice
- 1 bay leaf, see note for these
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, see note for these
- 8 sprigs fresh parsley, see note for these
- 1 whole clove
- 2 dozen hard-shelled clams, chopped small
- 1⁄3 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- fresh ground melange pepper
- 3⁄4 cup cooked peas
- biscuit dough
- Note: Tie the sprigs together with a white thread that will hold up. THIS with your clove is the bouquest garni. Cheese cloth will also do. They do not remain in the pie.
- Cook the pork with the onion and carrot for about 8 minutes over a gentle flame. Stir in the stock and cook until carrots are nearly done.
- Add the potatoes, clam juice, bouquet garni, and clove.
- When potatoes are nearly done add the clams and cook gently for 10 more minutes. Mix the water and the flour until smooth [God invented blenders for a reason dear.] then salt and pepper.
- Gradually stir the flour mix into the pie filling and cook for 5 more minutes. Stir occasionally. Toss the gari and the clove. Taste for seasoning and adjust. Stir in the peas [well drained btw].
- Place in a casserole dish. Cover with your favorite biscuit dough.
- Slit to allow steam to escape.
- Bake at 400F or until brown about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately.