Pinaygourmet #345142's Note:
I'm not sure what it was, home sickness maybe but one day, I was craving good old chicken adobo. Yeah, it's a good old reliable. It's probably one of the most popular Filipino recipe ever. It is really a very flexible recipe and you can pretty much do what ever you want with it. I'm sure most Filipinos will have his or her own version of it. Here is my Canadian version. Canadian Chicken Adobo - Yeah yeah, there's actually one and I created it lol! It's my own version. From my blog A Slice of Life... Sour, Bitter, Salty, Sweet, please drop by and say hi. http://sourbittersaltysweet.blogspot.com/. You may want to try this with chicken thighs or legs and slowly braise them, they work really well too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup of low salt light soy sauce
- 1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 cup of sugar-free pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic dressing (Crema di Balsamico)
- generous pinch of freshly cracked black pepper
- generous pinch brown sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, crashed
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- bit olive oil (or none)
- 1Throw everything in a heavy bottomed pot, give it a little stir to make sure the meat is covered with the sauce.
- 2Cover the pot and place on top of the stove over medium heat. Cook for 30-45 minutes until the meat is cooked through, give it an occasional stir. If you're using chicken legs or chicken thighs, braise it in low heat for one hour stirring occasionally to make sure the meat does not dry out and that it's evenly seasoned.
- 3Turn up the heat to medium high until the sauce thickens to your desired consistency. Taste it and adjust seasoning if you want.
- 4Serve with white rice, lots of steaming hot white rice (not brown) lol!
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Canadian Chicken Adobo
Serving Size: 1 (176 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 226.8
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 72.6 mg
- Sodium 1098.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 26.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: