Recipe by Glori-B
I first made this wonderful soup in Jan. 2004 for my business's wine and cheese party. It was a smash hit! Over the years I've lost it and just found it again. It was published by Cooking Light Magazine in Nov. 2000. I've made a couple of changes for personal preference. Simply yummy!
- 0 pumpernickel bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 carrot, peeled and quartered
- 1 celery, quartered
- 4.92 ml butter
- 177.44 ml all-purpose flour
- 907.18 g chicken broth, divided
- 709.77 ml milk
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml paprika
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 226.79 g shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place bread cubes on jelly-roll type pan and bake for 15 minutes until toasted.
- While croutons bake, combine onion, carrot, and celery in the food processor and pulse until chopped.
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add vegetables, saute' 5 minutes or until tender.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with knife. Gradually add half of broth to flour in a bowl stir well with wire whisk.
- Add flour / broth mixture to pan. Stir in remaining half of broth; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium, and cook for 10 minutes or until thick.
- Stir in milk, salt, paprika, and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add cheese. Stir until cheese melts.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with toasted pumpernickel croutons.