I first made this wonderful soup in Jan. 2004 for my business's wine and cheese party. It was a smash hit! Over the years I've lost it and just found it again. It was published by Cooking Light Magazine in Nov. 2000. I've made a couple of changes for personal preference. Simply yummy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 0 pumpernickel bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 carrot, peeled and quartered
- 1 celery, quartered
- 4.92 ml butter
- 177.44 ml all-purpose flour
- 907.18 g chicken broth, divided
- 709.77 ml milk
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml paprika
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 226.79 g shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2Place bread cubes on jelly-roll type pan and bake for 15 minutes until toasted.
- 3While croutons bake, combine onion, carrot, and celery in the food processor and pulse until chopped.
- 4Melt butter in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add vegetables, saute' 5 minutes or until tender.
- 5Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with knife. Gradually add half of broth to flour in a bowl stir well with wire whisk.
- 6Add flour / broth mixture to pan. Stir in remaining half of broth; bring to a boil.
- 7Reduce heat to medium, and cook for 10 minutes or until thick.
- 8Stir in milk, salt, paprika, and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes.
- 9Remove from heat and add cheese. Stir until cheese melts.
- 10Ladle soup into bowls and top with toasted pumpernickel croutons.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Canadian Cheese Soup With Pumpernickel Croutons
Serving Size: 1 (281 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 249.5
- Calories from Fat 126
- Total Fat 14.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 43.8 mg
- Sodium 754.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 14.0 g