Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Cheesy and delicious!
- 1⁄2 cup grated carrot
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- Add the carrots and celery to the boiling water in a small pan, cover, and simmer until very tender, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, saute the onion in the butter for 5 minutes until soft but not brown.
- Add the flour to the onion and butter and blend well. Cook for 2 or 3 minutes, add the milk and chicken broth, and cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Add the cheese and stir until blended. Add the cooked vegetables, with their liquid, to the cheese mixture. Heat thoroughly.
- Garnish with minced parsley.
- Serve with bread sticks.