Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A rich cheesy soup everyone will rave about.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup carrot, cut in 1/8-inch dice
- 1⁄2 cup celery, cut in 1/8-inch dice
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 2 lbs Velveeta cheese, cut in small cubes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- pickled jalapeno peppers (to garnish) or roasted red pepper, slices (to garnish)
- Melt the butter in a stockpot or Dutch oven over medium low heat.
- Add the carrots, onions and celery all at once and sauté until tender.
- Add flour and stir until flour is blended into the butter.
- Cook until mixture begins to turn a light brown color (a light roux).
- Increase heat to medium-high and add the chicken broth a little at a time.
- Continue to cook and stir with a whisk until a thick base if formed.
- Add half and half, being careful not to let it boil.
- Add cheese, stirring until cubes are melted.
- If too thick, add more half-and-half or some milk to thin.
- Just before serving add parsley.
- Garnish with the jalapeno pepper slices or roasted red bell pepper slices.
This chef knows what she is doing. After tasting her Bacon & Potato soup I knew I had to see if she had more and voila! She did. It's another hit. Keep 'em comming Smurfetta!