Smurfetta Chef #427781's Note:
A rich cheesy soup everyone will rave about.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup carrot, cut in 1/8-inch dice
- 1/2 cup celery, cut in 1/8-inch dice
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 2 lbs Velveeta cheese, cut in small cubes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- pickled jalapeno peppers (to garnish) or roasted red pepper, slices (to garnish)
- 1Melt the butter in a stockpot or Dutch oven over medium low heat.
- 2Add the carrots, onions and celery all at once and sauté until tender.
- 3Add flour and stir until flour is blended into the butter.
- 4Cook until mixture begins to turn a light brown color (a light roux).
- 5Increase heat to medium-high and add the chicken broth a little at a time.
- 6Continue to cook and stir with a whisk until a thick base if formed.
- 7Add half and half, being careful not to let it boil.
- 8Add cheese, stirring until cubes are melted.
- 9If too thick, add more half-and-half or some milk to thin.
- 10Just before serving add parsley.
- 11Garnish with the jalapeno pepper slices or roasted red bell pepper slices.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Canadian Cheese Soup
Serving Size: 1 (337 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 801.9
- Calories from Fat 566
- Total Fat 62.9 g
- Saturated Fat 40.1 g
- Cholesterol 204.9 mg
- Sodium 2798.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 13.6 g
- Protein 31.5 g