Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Who said dorm food is bad? This was served in my dorm at Purdue in the early 1980's and was a favorite.
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 cups American cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2⁄3 cup celery, finely diced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons green peppers, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, finely shredded
- 2 cups chicken broth
- In a 3 or 4 quart pot melt margarine and blend in flour. Cook about 5 minutes on low heat. Add salt and milk. Cook until thickened.
- Turn down heat and add grated cheese. Stir until melted, keeping heat low.
- Partially cook vegetables in chicken stock and add to cheese and milk mixture.
- Bring to a low simmer, but do not boil or cheese will curdle.
- Check for taste, adding more salt if needed.
- Add paprika for nice color.