Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
Comfort food at its finest. Serve with a salad and crusty bread for supper or lunch.
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery, finely chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 5 cups shredded American cheese or 5 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- Tabasco sauce
- In large saucepan over medium heat sauté onion in margarine until clear.
- Add carrots and celery and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in broth and seasoned salt.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes until vegetables are soft.
- Mix together flour and 1 cup milk.
- Stir in remaining milk and add to vegetable mixture.
- Lover heat and cook slowly until thickened, about 30-45 minutes.
- Add dash of Tabasco sauce and pepper to taste.
- Add shredded cheese and stir til slightly melted.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Was a success. Well received at a dinner party, and someone asked for the recipe. I Sharp matured cheese and 1 of self-shredded parmesan. The sharper cheese works better. Anything mild will be too bland. Did not include salt, but added a dash of garlic powder. Will probably include diced potatos and/or broccolli next time.