Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
A great hearty soup. Very filling.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, finely grated
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes, crushed
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (mild, medium, or old)
- Melt butter in saucepan, and sauté onion and carrots until tender.
- Blend in flour, paprika, dry mustard and bouillon cubes.
- Gradually stir in milk and water.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until smooth& thick, and mixture comes to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Gradually add cheese, continually stirring until melted.
- Serve immediately sprinkled with chopped parsley.
To make this soup just a little richer, I would use two cups of chicken stock instead of the water, and skip the bouillon cubes. Adding a little salt would make up for the loss of flavor.
Wonderfully cheesy soup! The carrots and onions added a little sweetness and texture. It's not overly rich; just right. I made this as written and sprinkled with croutons and parsley to serve. Thanx for posting this! Yum!
Great soup! I used stock instead of the bouillion cubes because that's what I had on hand. Nest time I may use some amber beer for part of the stock. Very easy and flavorful! Thanks for a great soup Kat!