A Classic Canadian Burger, with a slight twist. Serve with your favourite accompaniments, on grilled buns or bread. Recipe by Ruth Gangbar from Food and Drink.
- For the Beer-Braised Onions:.
- Melt the butter in a large heavy skillet.
- Add the onions and cook while stirring frequently over medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes, or until tender.
- Add 3/4 cup beer and the sugar, and cook until beer is absorbed and the onions become lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- For the burgers:.
- Pre-heat the barbeque on high.
- In a large bowl, gently but thoroughly combine the beef, garlic, red pepper, 1/4 cup beer, dijon, salt and pepper.
- Form into 4 patties 1" thick, and place on the grill, turning heat down to medium.
- Grill them for 4-6 minutes per side, or until nearly the desired doneness.
- Top each burger with 1/2 cup grated cheese, and heat till slightly melted.
- Serve on toasted buns and top each with the beer-braised onions.