Recipe by kzbhansen
Love soup during the winters and this one is good!
Top Review by ReeLani
Made this last week for the cook-a-thon. I'm not sure how thick it's supposed to get but I didn't find this to be a very thick soup. Also I didn't find the flavor to be all that cheesey which was surprising. The addition of an 8 oz bag of shredded cheddar helped, and the second time we ate this I mixed up some corn starch and water and added it in to the hot soup. At that point we had a very thick and enjoyable soup. We ate the thickened version of this soup over big baked potatoes one night and really enjoyed that presentation. The flavor of this soup continues to improve with age as is so often the case. I'm glad I tried it.
- 3⁄4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1⁄4 lb butter or 1⁄4 lb margarine
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pint half-and-half
- salt and pepper
- 2 bunches broccoli florets
- 2 1⁄2 quarts boiling water
- 1 onion, minced
- 12 ounces Cheez Whiz
- 4 carrots, sliced thin
- 9 chicken bouillon cubes
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onions and carrots in butter or margarine in a fry pan until.
- Add flour to make a roux.
- Add the bullion cubes to the boiling water. Add the roux to the water. Use a wire whisk stirring until smooth.
- Add the Cheez Whiz, half and half, liquid smoke and salt and pepper.
- Simmer on low, stirring often for about 20 minutes.
- Add broccoli tops and cook till broccoli is tender another 25 minutes.