Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 slices whole grain bread
- extra virgin olive oil
- 8 slices Canadian bacon
- 4 large eggs
- 8 ounces sharp Canadian cheddar cheese, sliced (or shredded)
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat in a small saucepan; add in tomatoes and scallions; season with salt and pepper.
- Saute for 2 minutes, then stir in the cream; let it reduce for 10 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; add 2 tablespoons butter to skillet; let melt.
- Add the bread slices and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side; transfer the slices to a platter.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil to the same pan; cook the Canadian bacon for 2-3 minutes on each side; place 2 slices of bacon on each slice of bread.
- Add the remaining tablespoon butter to the pan; when it has melted, add the eggs, giving each room to cook.
- Fry over soft or hard, as you like.
- Cover the eggs with mounds of cheese; tent the pan in foil to melt the cheese.
- Place each cheesy egg on a bacon-topped slice of bread; ladle the tomato cream sauce over each stack.