Prep 10 hrs
Cook 8 hrs
Comfort food recipe from my Canadian friend, Lisa. Time consuming, but well worth it.
- 2 cups dried white pea beans, washed and picke over
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup salt pork, finely diced (or bacon)
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup mild flavoured molasses
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- pepper, to taste
- Soak beans in cold water to cover them overnight; DO NOT DRAIN.
- Place beans, and water in which they were soaked, in saucepan and simmer for 1/2 hour.
- Place beans a mixing bowl; add all remaining ingredients. Mix well.
- Add additional water, if desired.
- Pour into a casserole pot/ dish.
- Cover and bake at 300 deg F for 6-8 hours, removing cover during last 1/2 hour of baking.
- ****Add boiling water 2-3 times to keep beans moist and covered with liquid; stir occasionally. Do not add water during last 1/2 hour of baking.
Made this for DH as I do not care for beans. He loved them told me they were better than Bush's Baked Beans. I am sure that I will be making these again and again. Thank you for a great recipe. Made for ZWT4 by a CHIC CHEF.
We liked it! I made it as is except for using the crockpot and adding a bit of maple syrup along with the molasses. I think it could have used a bit more vinegar and ketchup, but it was very good! I followed the first few steps including cooking on the stovetop before transferring to the crockpot, and once it was in the crockpot the water level stayed just where it was, not evaporating at all during the day. So when I got home I put it back on the stove without a lid and reduced it. Thank you for posting, made for ZWT, please see my rating system as I rate tougher than most.
I used almost 3 cups of white cannelloni beans. I added Epazote - A pungent herb with a flavor similar to coriander. Epazote is usually found dried and is often added to beans to reduce gas. Seaweed also would help! Always discard the soaking water, which removes most of the indigestible sugar, and rinse in clean water before cooking. When soaking more than 4 hours, or during hot or humid weather, soak beans in the fridge to avoid sprouting. I also added 1 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 tablespoon fresh parsley and 1 bay leaf. Tasted at the end of cooking and needed more sugar for our tastes. Thanks!