Recipe by *Parsley*
Comfort food recipe from my Canadian friend, Lisa. Time consuming, but well worth it.
Top Review by Huskergirl
Made this for DH as I do not care for beans. He loved them told me they were better than Bush's Baked Beans. I am sure that I will be making these again and again. Thank you for a great recipe. Made for ZWT4 by a CHIC CHEF.
- 2 cups dried white pea beans, washed and picke over
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup salt pork, finely diced (or bacon)
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup mild flavoured molasses
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak beans in cold water to cover them overnight; DO NOT DRAIN.
- Place beans, and water in which they were soaked, in saucepan and simmer for 1/2 hour.
- Place beans a mixing bowl; add all remaining ingredients. Mix well.
- Add additional water, if desired.
- Pour into a casserole pot/ dish.
- Cover and bake at 300 deg F for 6-8 hours, removing cover during last 1/2 hour of baking.
- ****Add boiling water 2-3 times to keep beans moist and covered with liquid; stir occasionally. Do not add water during last 1/2 hour of baking.