Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Posting this for ZWT 2006 (Canadian Region) this is delicious. Is it an omelet? Is it a bread pudding? Who cares?! It is cheesy with a wonderful ham flavor and such a good comfort food not to mention easy.
- 4 English muffins, split, toasted and cut in half
- 1⁄2 lb sliced Canadian bacon, about 10 slices, halved
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄3 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 8 large eggs
- 3 cups milk or 3 cups half-and-half
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon hot sauce
- Butter a 2 quart shallow baking dish; set aside. In dish, alternately arrange muffin halves and Canadian Bacon; sprinkle with cheeses; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, mustard, 1/2 teaspoons salt,
- pepper to taste and hot sauce until combined; pour over muffins and bacon.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap; refrigerate 2 hours to overnight for an especially custardy consistency (makes it great for ahead of time preparation).
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Place baking dish on a rimmed baking sheet; remove plastic wrap; bake until puffed and set in the center or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean; about 1 1/2 hours.
- Tent loosely with foil if strata starts to brown too quickly; let stand 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
I didn't toast the English muffins and this still came out great. I also divided the strata between two 9-inch pie pans and froze one. The one pan served the 3 of us with leftovers. The smaller pan reduced the baking time to about 45 minutes. This is a keeper.