Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄3 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 3⁄4 cup diced Canadian bacon
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Grease a 12-cup muffin pan.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, pepper, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, and oil until well blended.
- Stir in the green onions, bacon, cheese, and red pepper.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir just until blended.
- Divide batter equally among prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until tops are golden and a pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan on wire rack for 3 minutes, then transfer to the rack to cool.