I think my mom got this from a Pilsbury cookbook, but my sis and I both remember it fondly and make it for our appreciative boyfriends. Very easy to modify the spread, meat or vegetable to get a different taste (ex: roasted red pepper, feta and turkey).
- Preheat oven to about 425 degrees.
- Butter each split bagel.
- Place bagels butter side up on cookie sheet
- Let warm up/toast for 5 minutes or so.
- Remove sheet from oven once toasty.
- Put cheese slice/portion on one side of each bagel.
- Put green pepper ring on top.
- Put mushroom slices/pieces inside ring.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- On other side of bagel, put Canadian bacon.
- Increase oven heat to broil.
- Place sheet under broiler and watch carefully.
- Once cheese browns and/or ham curls, remove.
- Place one side on top of the other, let rest and enjoy.
Although I didn't make this exactly as written, I believe I remained true to the spirit of the recipe, particularly since it is so flexible. I used whole wheat bagel thins, which I toasted in the toaster and then buttered. I then proceeded as directed, using a marbled Colby Jack cheese. The sandwich was super tasty and so easy to put together. I will definitely be playing with this some more, but I do have to say that the green pepper and mushrooms are a great feature. Thanks for sharing this family favorite. Made for Fall PAC 2012.