1/3 Photos of Canadian Apple Fritters
I was just recently told that Apple Pie is a Canadian "invention"... in my search to preserve part of my American dream of baseball and apple pie... I found this recipe that is truly Canadian. In fact, I can now live in denial as my search went no further than the fritter as I abandoned all research to whip these up... These are so delicious and so delicate - just in time for apple season too..... I raise my glass of Fosters (Australian for Canadian Beer) in thanks and gratitude!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 lbs tart apples, peeled, cored and cut into eighths (such as Granny Smith or MacIntosh)
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar (to garnish)
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped to soft peaks, for garnish
- 1Whisk the egg and the sugar in a mixing bowl until foamy and slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Add the wine, apple juice, salt, lemon and orange zests and mix thoroughly. Add the flour and blend until the batter is smooth. Allow the batter to rest, covered, for 1 hour.Combine the apple wedges and the batter. Coat the fruit gently but thoroughly with batter.
- 2Pour oil to a depth of 5 inches in a deep pot. Heat over medium heat until it registers to 350º F on a deep-frying thermometer.
- 3To make the fritters, use a large spoon to scoop up about four apple wedges and use another spoon to push the mixture gently into the oil. Continue adding fritters to the hot oil, but do not overcrowd.
- 4Deep fry until light golden brown, about 5 minutes. Drain the fritters on absorbent towels. Repeat with the remaining fruit and batter. It is best to serve fritters immediately, but if necessary, they may be kept warm in a 200° F oven while finishing the remaining fritters; leave uncovered to keep fritters crisp.Dust lightly with confectioner's sugar and serve with whipped cream.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Canadian Apple Fritters
Serving Size: 1 (263 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 411.2
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 93.6 mg
- Sodium 52.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 22.5 g
- Protein 7.3 g