Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
Canadian Living's most popular carrot cake recipe ever! This moist carrot cake is welcome at birthdays, weddings, reunions and all special occasions.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups carrots, grated
- 1 cup canned pineapple, drained & crushed
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup icing sugar
- Grease and flour 13- x 9-inch (3.5 L) metal cake pan; set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. In separate bowl, beat together granulated and brown sugars, eggs, oil and vanilla until smooth; pour over flour mixture and stir just until moistened. Stir in carrots, pineapple and pecans. Spread in prepared pan.
- Bake in centre of 350°F (180°C) oven for 40 minutes or until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Let cool in pan on rack. (Make-ahead: Cover with plastic wrap and store at room temperature for up to 2 days. Or ovenwrap with heavy duty foil and freeze for up to 2 weeks; let thaw before continuing.).
- Icing: In bowl, beat cream cheese with butter until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Beat in icing sugar, one-third at a time, until smooth. Spread over top of cake. (Make-ahead: Cover loosely and refrigerate for up to I day.).
- Tips: Set timer for 5 minutes less than the time specified in recipe, check cake then for the following signs. If the cake is not done, return it to the oven to finish baking.
- When is the cake done:.
- A fully baked cake will spring back when touched in the center. The cake also draws away from the side of the pan, and a cake tester (a toothpick of skewer works well) inserted in the center comes out clean. Also trust your sense of smell: the fresh aroma of butter and sugar wafting out of the oven can be the signal to check the cake.
- When cakes emerge from the oven, their structure is set, but the set is still fragile. Let cakes stand in pans on rack for time specified in each recipe, usually 15 to 20 minutes. Run knife around edge of cake, then place rack over pan and invert cake onto rack to cool completely.
When I have made carrot cakes before they have been on the dry side, but this recipe was very moist. If you have a craving for sweets, this one is for you! The cream cheese icing was good, but thick. If you refrigerate the icing I recommend putting it in the microwave to soften it slightly before frosting the cake.