This recipe is from Canadian Living magazine, posted in response to a request from a Zaar member who had lost her copy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups cake-and-pastry flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- 1/3 cup orange juice
Filling and decoration
- 1First, make the cake.
- 2Preheat oven to 350F; have ready an ungreased 13x9 oblong pan.
- 3Using a flour sifter, sift together flour and salt, then return to sifter and set aside.
- 4In large mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy; sprinkle with cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form.
- 5Gradually add half of the sugar to the whites, beating until stiff glossy peaks form.
- 6In another large mixing bowl, beat egg yolks and remaining sugar until thickened; stir in orange rind and juice.
- 7Fold this into the egg whites.
- 8Sift flour, a third at a time, over the egg mixture, gently folding in each addition.
- 9Place this batter into the 13x9 pan and bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until spongy to a light touch.
- 10Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn cake out onto a wire rack to let it cool completely (if possible, wrap and store for 1 day; cake can also be frozen for up to 2 months).
- 11When ready, make the filling and decoration.
- 12Hull and slice about one-quarter of the strawberries.
- 13Whip the cream; stir icing sugar and vanilla into whipped cream.
- 14Using a long serrated knife, cut cake horizontally in half and put one layer, cut side up, on a large serving tray.
- 15Spread with about one-third of the whipped cream mixture and cover with a single layer of sliced strawberries.
- 16Carefully put the top layer, cut side down, over the berries.
- 17Spread remaining cream over top and sides.
- 18Now, cut the remaining berries in half and arrange in overlapping rows, cut side down, forming 2 side bands and a maple leaf in centre.
- 19Use any remaining berries as a garnish around the sides of the cake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Canada Day Flag Cake
Serving Size: 1 (152 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 292.9
- Calories from Fat 147
- Total Fat 16.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.5 g
- Cholesterol 113.0 mg
- Sodium 67.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 21.8 g
- Protein 3.9 g