Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is great for a picnic or camping. Make up the pkgs at home keep in a cooler and no problem when ready to cook. I like to add some garlic, and have a peppy sauce on the side to serve with them. Green salad that's it!
- 4 smoked sausage, skinless, cut in 1 1/4 inch pieces (enough sausage for 4 servings)
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, 1/4 inch slices
- 1 1⁄2 cups green cabbage, shredded
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- Lay out 4 sets of double foil approx 12x2-inches or a bit larger.
- Distribute the sausage and veggies evenly between the 4 squares.
- Season to taste and dot with the margarine.
- Start to raise the foil around the filling and add 1/4 cup of water to each pkg Bring the foil up and around the contents making sure the top and edges are sealed BBQ on low for approx 1/2 hour.
This brings back to me the same memories as Virginia. I used the soy polish sausages to cut fat. Easy to make ahead.
I make this same thing only I use hamburger patties. I got it from making the same recipe in a coffee tin with the tin lid. You just baked the whole thing in the fire. Girl Scouts!!!
I make this for every camping trip. Its easy to make ahead of time which makes it easy to pack. No need for a bunch of extra kitchen utensils out in the wilderness. It's also easy to modify. I always use a chicken broth or beef broth instead of water though and add jalapenos for my spice-loving-husband.