Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
When I was younger, I used to go camping with our church youth group and we would always make sure that this was included on the menu. It's one of those recipes that you know everyone would like. This is scaled down. Note, this is not a diet meal!
- 6 medium potatoes (I use red)
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 6 eggs
- salt and pepper
- parsley (optional)
- Cook potatoes with their skins in boiling salted water until done.
- Cool, peel or leave skins on, cube or slice.
- Cut bacon in small pieces and fry on medium heat to desired crispness. Drain on paper towel.
- Add aprox. 2 tbls. butter to the bacon fat and fry onions until transparent.
- Add the potatoes to the pan with the onions and fry until crust forms. Return bacon.
- Crack the eggs into the potatoes and scramble them around with everything. Salt and pepper to taste. Be careful with the salt, since the bacon is salty. Finish with parsley.
- Good as a side dish, breakfast of course, or as a main meal for 2 with a green salad.
- Cook time is after the potatoes have cooled.
Excellent breakfast!!! I cut the amounts in half for one serving this morning and used "Simply Potatoes", which are already peeled and sliced. I loved the flavor that the bacon fat gives to the whole breakfast. This is a definite do again breakfast for me. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Made for your win in the Summer Spectacular!!!
I cut this down to one serving, but I think I could have served 3, or me and a teenage boy! Delicious breakfast! This delicious breakfast is basically a combination of what I serve individually, and it is sooo much easier done in one pan, and it still tastes great! I waited until the last minute to add the broken-up bacon so that it would be nice and crisp. I don't think I'll ever do this separately again....so much easier using the camping method of one dish. Thanks so much Lori! Made for Holiday tag.
This is so good! very similar to what my mom would make when we were camping; but she would use canned potatoes for convenience...this is much BETTER!! I cooked the potatoes (used Yukon Golds) earlier in the day and then peeled and diced them just before adding them to the pot. This was quick and easy to put together for our weekly 'breakfast for dinner' night. Made for Everyday Holiday Tag.