Recipe by Julie F
This recipe comes from BH&G January '10 issue and is a prize tested recipe winner submitted by Dawn Wilber. I thought my family would enjoy it this winter.
Top Review by Greeny4444
This is really good. Of course, how can the classic combination of chocolate, graham crackers, and marshmallows NOT be good? :) I made this for a lunch dessert, as we had company come over today. I had a baguette, so I used about half of that and cut it longways, into quarters. I followed the recipe exactly, except I got mixed up a little on the marshmallow instructions - I though the 1/4 cup was a typo (because I had only used 1/2 of the cup that was called for), so I sprinkled 1/2 c. on top. Then I saw the other 1/4 c. in the drizzle. Oops! Also, I did make the drizzle in a small glass bowl in the microwave, just heating everything on 80% power for about a minute and a half, stirring about every 20 seconds (until everything melted together). This is a very rich bread budding. My husband suggested adding some cinnamon to it (maybe to the egg mixture). I might try that next time. Thanks for posting this! Made for Spring PAC 2011.
- 4 hot dog buns, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 4 eggs
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 3⁄4 cup semisweet chocolate piece
- 5 graham cracker squares, coarsely crushed (about 1/2 c)
- 2 tablespoons milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F Grease a 2 qt square baking dish. Set aside. Place bun pieces on shallow baking sheet. Bake 7 to 8 minutes or until dry and crisp. Cool.
- In medium bowl, lightly beat eggs. Stir in sweetened condensed milk, 3/4 c milk, vanilla and nutmeg; set aside.
- Place bun pieces in prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/2 c each of the marshmallows and chocolate pieces. Evenly pour milk mixture over all. Let stand 5 minutes. Sprinkle with crushed graham crackers. Bake, uncovered, for 35 minutes. Sprinkle with 1/4 c of the remaining marshmallows. Bake for about 5 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean.
- For drizzle, in small saucepan, heat and whisk remaining marshmallows, remaining chocolate pieces and 2 T milk over low heat until melted and smooth. Drizzle over bread pudding. Cool 20 to 30 minutes before serving. Serve warm.