Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I found this recipe in my sons "Boys Life" magazine.
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 4 -6 lbs chuck roast
- 1⁄2 cup corn oil
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 2 inch rounds
- 3 yams or 3 sweet potatoes, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 cups beef stock
- Season flour with salt and pepper and mix.
- Roll roast in the mixture.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven.
- Sear roast for 4 minutes on each side until well browned.
- Add ketchup, carrots, yams, onion and garlic.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add beef stock and cover.
- Cook at 300°F (about seven coals underneath and 16 on top).
- Cook for up to 3 hours until beef is tender.