Recipe by hels
I learnt this one at a Guide training weekend in the New Forest this year. I've given the recipe using handmade sponge cake mix, although we actually made them with a packet mix :o) They can be cooked in the oven at about 160degC or gas 4
Directions See How It's Made
- Make sure the campfire has died down but the embers are still good and hot.
- Whisk the butter and sugar together until white and fluffy then fold in the egg and sugar.
- Cut the tops off of the oranges about 1/5 of the way down - KEEP the lids!
- Scoop out the insides of the oranges with a spoon and either eat or discard.
- fill the oranges with the sponge mixture, leaving a bit of room for the cake to rise.
- Put the lid back on the orange and wrap up in a double layer of tinfoil.
- Bake in the embers of the fire for about 15-20mins until the cake is cooked.
- Eat out of the orange with a spoon - it might be an idea to let them cool a bit - especially if you're giving them to kids!