Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
These are our favorite campfire potato dish. So easy to put together and just let them cook. The melted pepper jack cheese just adds another level to these potatoes. These can be made in the oven as well. Simply use an oven safe dish and cook at 375 for specified time
- 3 russet potatoes, scrubbed and cubed
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, coarsley minced
- 1⁄2 cup bacon, pieces not bits (I use pre-packaged)
- 6 slices monterey jack pepper cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter
- In a foil pan, add half of the butter.
- Add potatoes, onions, garlic, bacon, and remaining butter to foil pan.
- Cover with aluminum foil and put on campfire.
- Let potatoes cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Top with cheese and cook additional 15 minutes, or until potatoes are soft throughout.
My family loved this recipe, which I did in the oven. I used the prepackaged bacon pieces, 2 garlic cloves, about 2 T. butter, and about 1/4 c. diced onion. My husband said he could smell it when he drove into the garage, and could hardly wait to come up and see what was for dinner! Next time I will double the recipe, as everyone wanted seconds! By the way...the pepper jack cheese is awesome on the top! I originally thought about using cheddar, but I am glad I didn't. We definitely will be making this again! Thank you so much for sharing this!
Followed this exactly, even to putting these wrapped up delights in the wood stove. I used the prepackaged bacon pieces, reduced the garlic a bit, but followed this exactly. I kept turning this over about every 5 minutes so nothing will stick. The aroma was wonderful I am sure that neighbors passing by would of been enticed to stop and chow down. Thank you, ARathkamp! Made for *I Recommend* tag game February 2009.
Easy and delicious. It was a wee bit too cold for a campfire around here (2 degrees F), so I made them in the oven this time around. But I will be sure to file this away for camping when it's a bit warmer! I used olive oil instead of butter, as I didn't realize I was out of butter until I had already chopped everything. Thanks for sharing!