Recipe by JT'sMom
Extra large bread cubes dipped into sweetened condensed milk then rolled in coconut and slow roasted over the campfire. The ingredients meld into a toasted bite of bliss and smell incredible! We can hardly wait each year for camping season so that we can make these. Note: For best results do not use an airy bread like Wonder. I make mine in my bread machine. A more dense bread works best. Enjoy!
Top Review by Mrs. Moon
I took this to a family camping trip and it was a HUGE hit. Kids and adult alike loved cooking them. We found they worked much better on a two pronged fork. I also made a loaf of bread in my breadmaker. Very fun! We will be making these again! Thanks for sharing!
- 1 loaf homemade-style white bread
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (7 ounce) bag coconut flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a bread knife, trim all crust off the loaf of bread.
- Cut bread into approximately 2-inch cubes.
- Pour sweetened condensed milk into a pie pan or shallow bowl.
- Place some coconut into pie pan or onto a plate.
- Evenly coat bread cube with sweetened condensed milk, letting any excess drain off over dish.
- Lightly pat cube into coconut makeing sure that coconut adheres to all sides.
- Place cube onto a long toasting skewer or sharpened stick.
- Turn slowly, over the hot coals, until coconut is toasted brown.
- Remove from skewer and enjoy.
- CAUTION: Let cool slightly as the sugars in the milk and coconut can be quite hot right out of the fire.