1/2 Photos of Campfire Bananas Foster
This is a favorite of my Boy Scouts that graduated as Eagle Scouts from BSA Troop 47, Littleton, Colorado when I was their Scoutmaster. We challenged the Scouts to do one “gourmet” dish for each campout, and this was my “example” entry to spur them on to doing more than just beans and weenies. They got the idea quickly and not only changed what they were cooking [for the better] but how they prepared and cleaned up their creations. I have one Eagle Scout that is now an award winning chef working in NYC, largely because of his experiences while camping and earning the BSA Cooking Merit Badge.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 banana, sliced crosswise into nine bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon butter, from squeeze container
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/2 cup diced poundcake (approx. 1 slice)
- 1 cup prepared frozen whipped topping, French Vanilla flavor, thawed
- 1 dash ground cinnamon
- 1Remove the skin from the banana (DO NOT cook with peel).
- 2Place banana on non-stick side of a double 12-inch sheet of aluminum foil.
- 3Cut each banana crosswise into nine bite-sized pieces.
- 4Do not cut foil!
- 5Squeeze tablespoon butter over banana pieces.
- 6Sprinkle brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and rum extract over butter.
- 7Wrap tightly in foil, being sure to seal ends.
- 8Place on grill over gas, campfire or coals, seam side up.
- 9Cook for six minutes.
- 10Remove from heat.
- 11Open carefully.
- 12Top with diced pound cake.
- 13Spoon the whipped topping onto the dessert.
- 14Sprinkle topping with dash of cinnamon.
- 15Eat directly from foil.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Campfire Bananas Foster
Serving Size: 1 (266 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 663.5
- Calories from Fat 278
- Total Fat 30.9 g
- Saturated Fat 23.7 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 123.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 98.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 85.0 g
- Protein 2.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: