1/1 Photo of Campfire Baked Apples
Bone Man's Note:
You can make these in the oven and/or gas grill too using the highest heat settings but the campfire method is the traditional one. I have been making these babies for over 45 years -- I was raised in a log cabin and we made them in the fireplace coals all the time. The flavor is heavenly. This is a LOT of fun for the kids and, closely supervised, (and given a little assistance), they can make their own. Enjoy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1You'll need 12 sheets of aluminum foil, each about 10 inches long. If using a campfire, move back large burning embers to expose hot coals -- oak coals are best.
- 2Prepare each apple by first cutting a top-shaped "plug" out of the stem-end with a sharp paring knife. Keep the plugs to re-insert later. Leave the stems on if you wish.
- 3Use a butter knife or the paring knife to carve out all of the core and seeds. This is the trickiest part. Do not go through the bottom of the apple but if you do, it's no big deal.
- 4Into each apple insert 1 tablespoon of the butter, 1 teaspoon of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. That should pretty much fill the void. Then, re-insert the top plug and double-wrap each apple in aluminum foil. (Some folks rub the outside of the apple with butter but I never bother to do this).
- 5Lay the apples on the coals and, after 5 minutes, roll them over so that the second side can bake. Roll them out of the coals after 10 minutes, let them cool for a bit and serve.
- 6You can make sort of a primitive bowl out of the aluminum foil wrappers and eat the apples with a spoon.
- 7TIP: Don't puncture the aluminum foil with a fork to turn the apples because all your butter will leak out! Use a pair of tongs if you have a big pair.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Campfire Baked Apples
Serving Size: 1 (201 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 192.8
- Calories from Fat 106
- Total Fat 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 83.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 18.5 g
- Protein 0.5 g